Thursday, October 01, 2009

October 1st


October 1st. So many things associated with October 1st.

I moved into the peaceful retreat on the bay one year ago today.

Rainfall totals are calculated from October 1st to September 30th. My rainfall total for the past year is 42.06 inches -- a dry year when compared to the average of 70 inches a year.

Tis also the start of my birthday month. I'm wanting teeth this year instead of presents. I'm going to be 55 on October 15th -- tis my double nickle year instead of the year that I am the same age as the last two digits of the year I was born - 54.

The changing of the season is in full swing here. I noticed the start of the change in leaf color at higher elevations mid-September but the leaves are now starting to begin their changes down here at sea level. No color yet - but the vibrant green is dulled. Color should start making an appearance any day.

The air feels different - cooler and it has a crispness in stark contrast to the softness of the summer air. Am starting to think about my fall and winter cooking -- thoughts of baked potato soup, cornbread, and meatloaf with smashed potatoes, roast turkey instead of chicken, bread pudding instead of ice cream. Have been wearing fleece all week (yay!) and am going to be back to wearing socks soon.

Change is in the air. I'm changing hand in hand with the seasons.

2 comments:

  1. I too moved at the same time last year as well. It wasn't a peaceful retreat like you but it is mine. I was also getting my teeth done as well and they were finished by the end of February.

    Both are better now after this year that seemed to have passed so quickly. Have a fun weekend Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right - I remember your move now. Seems like we have been walking down similar paths one fly.

    i figure the way i am having to save up for each bit of dental work, i won't have my teeth until next summer. am looking forward to being able to eat corn on the cob and steaks!!!

    this was a fast year -- hope the next one slows down a wee bit so i can enjoy it

    ReplyDelete