Friday, August 13, 2010

The Hot Is A'Coming

The hot is a'coming. Sure didn't look that way today, although it was 5 degrees warmer than yesterday -- got up to 68 in spite of the marine layer.


The mat of crap (pollen floating in Netarts Bay) was very noticeable today. Here it is near high tide in the cove where the creek enters the bay. You can also see other mats in the far cove and around the point:


You can see what the tide left behind as it went out in the next two pictures. Needless to say, I'm still sneezing.



August 12, 2008 was the last night I spent in the little cabin by the creek in the redwoods. Easy date for me to remember since it is my friend Joanie's birthday.

I put the padlock on the pod on August 13th, locked up the cabin, gave the keys to my real estate agent and headed down to Carmel to spent the night with a friend. I started my trek north on the 14th, headed up 101 to my temporary digs in Otter Rock. August 15th was the first night I spent in Oregon -- I had stayed in a motel in Crescent City, CA on the drive up.

A lot sure has happened in the past two years but I do not regret moving to Oregon. I can not imagine living back down in CA again -- I've been spoiled by the nice folks, cheaper cost of living, the slower pace to life, and drop dead gorgeous eye candy the State of Oregon offers.

Went into town today -- ran some errands and picked up some groceries. My plan for the heat is to hunker down, close the blinds and shade the windows on the west facing side of the house. On the plus side, I'll have an opportunity to wear the summer clothes I brought up in those two suitcases two years ago. I have to admit, I was freezing a lot (especially considering it was August) when I first got up here but I like to think I have acclimated since then.

I'm no longer a Californian who moved to Oregon -- I am an Oregonian.

4 comments:

  1. It's really worth everything, isn't it? Even with the pollen and the clouds blocking the interesting astronomy most times, the Pacific Northwest is worth it all.

    I've got to admit there are times when I miss home. Then I step outside. And I am home.

    Silver sky over silver water - glorious.

    Thank you, Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks dana. so many different grays, so many different silvers -- i had never thought overcast could be pretty until i moved up here.

    already up to 81 outside and still a bit hazy along the spit. looks like its gonna be a scorcher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoudounLib8:04 PM

    Hi Suz, it's hard to believe it's been two years already since you've become an Oregonian! Time sure flies when you're living in such a beautiful place, no? It seems to suit you to a tee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ll -- time is going by at a much faster clip than when i was younger for sure. the beauty of this place has a very strong drawn to me. i've never had eagles as neighbors before :)

    ReplyDelete